IASSS invites you to apply to our Future Surgeons Program at the 48th World Congress of Surgery (WCS) in Krakow, 11-15 August 2019. 24 future surgeons will be selected to attend this year’s WCS as delegates in this new program.
Our program is designed to provide delegates with an unrivalled career development and mentorship experience and an opportunity to network with the world’s leaders in surgery.
Delegates will attend the congress, the World Journal of Surgery’s writer’s workshop and the Association of Academic Surgery’s Career Development Workshops free of charge. However, delegates will be responsible for all other expenses (travel, accommodation, meals). Delegates will be expected to assist at the congress without payment, participate in and support IASSS events and activities during WCS, and support IASSS before and during WCS.
The prestigious WCS Future Surgeons Program promises to be an unforgettable, career-defining and enriching experience for all selected delegates.
The selection of applicants is purely meritocratic and all applicants must be committed to developing and improving the future of surgery.
All eligible applicants must:
- Be an IASSS member (sign up free now) currently be studying towards a medical degree or are in their pre-specialisation years (for example working as a junior doctor);
- Be in good academic standing with your academic institution;
- Have shown a passion towards surgery, locally and or internationally, and see yourselves as future surgeons;
- Have played an active role in surgical education amongst their peers;
- Hold or have held a leadership position in a community, university or other recognized organization (this includes being an executive committee member or project lead)
- Have conducted research pertaining to medical or surgical education, global health, global surgery, or basic sciences (preferably with a surgical interest). See Abstract submission section.
- Embody the ideals of professionalism, dedication, integrity, motivation, compassion and empathy for others.
How To Apply
- Proof of enrollment at your academic institution or proof of employment from your place of work (for junior doctors),
- A certified copy of your ID,
- Proof of affiliation to a student surgical interest group (where applicable),
- One character reference (either from the Head of the Surgical Department at your institution or from the Dean of the Faculty)
- A 250 word letter of motivation on “What have you done and what do you plan to do to revolutionize the future of surgery?”
- A two-page Curriculum Vitae.
- An abstract on research you have conducted or in which you have played a significant role, or an abstract of a protocol with ethics approval.
We thank you in advance for your application and hope to see you all at the
48th World Congress of Surgery!